/ / Castle Rapallo: photo, description, Antico Castello sul Lungomare)

Castle Rapallo: photo, description, Antico Castello sul Lungomare)

The ancient castle in the resort of the Ligurian town of Rapallo is located on the Eastern end of the promenade, Lungomare Vittorio Veneto. On all sides it is surrounded by water and is connected to the mainland with a dam. Its incomparable silhouette is one of the symbols of the city and is often reproduced on postcards, stamps and Souvenirs.

The castle was built in the mid 16th century with a defensive purpose after the pirate Drago was captured and destroyed by Rapallo and took into slavery many residents. For a long time the castle housed a prison, but it has recently been renovated and transformed into a prestigious venue for exhibitions and conferences. In addition, it was here during the annual festival in honor of the apparition of the virgin Mary, Montallegro is the famous fireworks show.

As mentioned above, in 1549, the year the Ottoman ships, under the command of a pirate Dredge and under the cover of night approached the Ligurian shore and headed into the Bay of Rapallo. The invaders landed in three locations - at the Porta delle saline, on the Causeway in the city centre and in the area of Stella. The attack was so unexpected that citizens are unable to organize a decent defense, and Rapallo were in a matter of hours looted and destroyed, and some of its inhabitants were captured. The story of this attack is depicted in the painting exhibited in the meeting room of the municipality of Rapallo.

After that, the city was forced to go to Genoa for assistance in the construction of Fort to protect its coast. Then began the construction of FORTS in neighboring San Michele di pagana, Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino, as well as defensive fortifications along the Bay of Tigullio. Over its long history, the Rapallo castle was rebuilt several times and changed its purpose - it housed the residence of the city captain, prison and even a chapel for patients. In 1865, the year the castle became the property of the municipality, and was turned into the headquarters of the Department of revenue. And a century later, in 1963, the year work began on the restoration of ancient buildings, in which the castle was converted into a venue for different events.