/ / Rocca dei Rettori: photos, description (Rocca dei Rettori)

Rocca dei Rettori: photos, description (Rocca dei Rettori)

Rocca dei Rettori, also known as Castello di Manfredi, the castle of Benevento in the Italian region of Campania, now occupied by the Museum of the Samnites.

Archeological excavations carried out here in 1998-m to year in the course of restoration works, proved that this area was used in prehistoric times. In particular, there was discovered the necropolis of the 7-6 th century BC with numerous samnite graves. Around the 4th century BC, the Samnites built on the site of the present castle and Bastion were the first to use this place for defensive purposes. But the Romans built the baths here, is known as Castellum Aquae, water for which was supplied from the river using the Serino aqueduct. Replaced them the Lombards appreciated the strategic location of the place and erected the East wall of the castle. In the 8th century on this place was founded by the Benedictine monastery, which later, during the reign of the Duke of Benevento Arakis II, was connected with the castle (or fortified place). In the 11th century the whole structure was significantly expanded, but was later partially abandoned. Only 1321, the year Pope John XII asked the ruler of Benevento, William di Baleto, to restore the building and make it the residence of the papal governors ("rettori"). On this occasion, the monks moved to the monastery of San Pietro. Then the modern name of the castle Rocca dei Rettori. In the 16th century, the Rocca was again extended for nearly three centuries (until 1865, the year) was used as a prison.

Rocca dei Rettori located in the highest part of the historical centre of Benevento. The current appearance of the castle is the result of numerous reconstructions and restorations carried out for centuries. In fact, it consists of two buildings: the great tower of Torrione, built by the Lombards, and the so-called Palazzo dei Governatori Pontifici. Torrioni height of about 28 meters, this is the only surviving part of the original defensive structures. It was restored in the 15th century and is notable for the double-vaulted Windows and a terrace with two towers. Palazzo dei Governatori Pontifici (Palace of the papal governors) has the shape of a rectangle with the main entrance on the East side. The Palace consists of three floors and a patio, and a large staircase leads to the garden, which exhibits a collection of plates from ancient Trajan road and other architectural elements of the Ancient Rome period. There you can see the sculpture of a lion made in 1640, the year in honor of Pope urban VIII with the use of richly decorated ancient Roman fragments.