/ / Rocca Strozzi: photos, description (Rocca Strozzi)

Rocca Strozzi: photos, description (Rocca Strozzi)

Rocca Strozzi - castle in the Tuscan town of Campi Bisenzio, located in the heart of the Florentine plain and the symbol of the city. It stands on the right Bank of the river Bisenzio near the bridge that connects the historic city centre with the Western districts.

The construction of a square castle with a side tower was commenced about 1336, the year by order of Ubertino di Rossello Strozzi (possibly on the ruins of more ancient buildings) and was completed a few years later, when Carlo Strozzi. And the first documentary mention of Rocca Strozzi dated 1378-m year, when by order of the Florentine Republic around Campi Bisenzio was built a fortress wall. Its military significance, the castle was already lost in 1450-ies, and eventually turned into an agricultural center. And in the 19th century, he for some time was turned into a barracks by the local carabinieri. Fortunately, the building is perfectly preserved to our days.

In 1992, the year of Rocca Strozzi became the property of the Ministry of Finance, and several years later, the municipality of Campi Bisenzio, at the initiative of which has been restored. Today the castle is considered one of the best examples of military architecture of Tuscany 14th century. Within its walls is now transformed into a cultural center, and the adjoining agricultural buildings housed the restoration workshops, where we work with Etruscan artifacts.