/ / Lock Sterile: photos, description (Palazzo Steri)

Lock Sterile: photos, description (Palazzo Steri)

The Sterile castle, built in the late 13th century to 1320, was the main residence of the infamous Sicilian Chiaramonte family. In 1392 king Martin laid siege to the castle and right in front of its walls beheaded Andrea Chiaramonte, the last owner of Sterilization. Since then until 1517 the castle served as the main Royal Palace of the Kingdom of Sicily, succeeding the Palazzo dei Normanni. It was here in 1530 Charles V, king of Sicily, and ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, gave the Maltese Islands into the possession of knights Hospitaller, who later became known as the Order of Malta. Very sinister role the castle played Sterile from 1601 to 1782 years - it was the seat of the chief Tribunal of the Holy Inquisition of Sicily. Then there was the court, and castle rooms were used as prison cells. Today part of the castle is a Sterile administrative offices of the University of Palermo and in the medieval halls often hold some small events.

The castle was built in the so-called "Chiaramonte Gothic" - in the same style built castles in the Sicilian towns of Mussomeli, Naro and Malta (the old part of Fort Sant'angelo in Valletta). And his decorations and arched Windows evoke associations with other medieval castles in Italy, France and Spain. The majestic fortress is situated on the territory of the former feudal estates of the family Chiaramonte - despite the fact that they were not the inventors of this unique architectural style, they did a lot for its distribution across the island. The beautiful stonework of Sterilization has survived only thanks to the numerous restorations undertaken in the 20th century.

When the castle was built, it stood almost on the water - coast began a few hundred meters from the walls of the Sterilization. In the 16th century around the castle was a dam designed to protect a structure from the raids of pirates. Grassy Park, now bordering the sea on the opposite from via Crispi and via Messina Marina Side, were built after the Second World war. In the Sterile complex also includes St. Anthony's chapel, built near the castle.

Inside you should pay special attention to the Great Hall - the so-called Hall of the Nobles, with painted wooden vaults with images of biblical, mythological and historical scenes. It is likely that the decoration of the halls of Sterilization was influenced by Arabic ornaments the famous Cappella Palatina, created two centuries earlier.