/ / Ajlun castle

Ajlun castle

Ajlun castle, located on top of the mountain, was built in 1184, one of the generals of Saladin to protect the iron mines and Agluna protection from the attacks of the Franks. Ajlun castle towering over three main routes in the Jordan valley and protected the trade routes between Jordan and Syria. He was an important link in the chain of fortifications meant to protect it from the crusaders, who for decades tried unsuccessfully to capture the castle and nearby village.

The original castle had four towers with loopholes in the thick walls, battlements for archers, and was surrounded by a moat of width 16 and depth 15 meters.

In 1215 the Mamluk Governor Aibak Ibn Abdullah expanded the castle by adding another tower in the South-East corner and erecting a bridge decorated with figurines of doves, which can be seen today.

In the XII century the castle was surrendered to the ruler of Aleppo and Damascus, Salah al-DIN Yusuf Ibn Yubu. When it was restored the northeastern tower. In 1260, the rebuilding of the castle was interrupted and he fell under the onslaught of the Mongols. Soon, however, the Mamluk Sultan Baybars captured the fortress and rebuilt it again.