/ / The Monastery Of The Nativity Of The Blessed Virgin Mary

The Monastery Of The Nativity Of The Blessed Virgin Mary

Photos and description

The history of the convent of the Nativity of the blessed virgin Mary in the city of Karaganda began in the 40-ies of XX century It was then that the monk starets Archimandrite Sebastian built the temple, which was consecrated in honor of the Nativity of the blessed virgin. In local authorities, the Church was registered in 1955 in celebration of the ascension of the Lord.

The temple was built on the grounds of the old Adobe house. In 1976, during the capital repairs of the southern, Northern and Western walls of the temple were replaced with brick.

The Shrine was frequently visited by such well-known Church leaders of the twentieth century, as: Metropolitan of Alma-ATA and Kazakhstan Saint Nicholas (Mogilevsky), Metropolitan of Kazakhstan Joseph, Metropolitan Pitirim of Volokolamsk and many others.

In 1955 the blessing the Reverend elder Sebastian at the temple was founded the female monastic community, which consisted of freed from the camp and other places of deprivation of liberty for religious. In 1998, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church by its decree ordered to establish in the Church women's Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky monastery. Abbess of the monastery was appointed nuns Sebastian (Zhukov), who for 17 years carried the works on the running of the monastery. Thanks to the work of the Abbot of Karaganda, the monastery became one of the most famous spiritual centers of the Republic of Kazakhstan.

The monastery was preserved the spirit of the Holy elder and his covenants. Thanks to the diligence of the mother was made a memorial sharemarket cell of St. Sebastian, where the vestments, icons and personal belongings of the Confessor.

Today, the convent is one of the attractions of the city.