/ / Svyato-Nikolsky Cathedral

Svyato-Nikolsky Cathedral

Photos and description

St. Nicholas Cathedral is one of the religious attractions of the capital of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Almaty city. The history of this temple began in 1904, when the inhabitants of the city Faithful started to collect funds for the erection of the temple. The construction of the temple was completed in 1908 by the Author of this project was the architect S. K. Troparevsky. Supervised Church construction works of famous architect A. Zenkov. In December of the same year was consecrated the new Church in honor of St. Nicholas. The first rector was Alexander Skalsky.

Some time after the consecration of St. Nicholas Church of St. Panteleimon monastery on mount Athos, was brought the relics of the great Martyr Panteleimon the healer, which is now carefully preserved on the throne, dedicated to the Holy Martyr.

After the revolution the St. Nicholas Church was the Bastion of Orthodoxy. From 1936 to 1945 the Church was closed by the authorities. Then in his room housed a Museum of atheism. With the beginning of the great Patriotic war the temple was used as a stable, and a basement placed the military penal company. In 1946, by decision of the local authorities of the Church of St. Nicholas was transferred to the community of believers, after which the service became regular.

In the spring of 1954 as a sign of gratitude for the material assistance provided by the parishioners of St. Nicholas Church for the rebuilding of the temple in the city of Tobolsk, in St. Nicholas Cathedral of Alma-ATA topolcani was donated an icon of St. John the Metropolitan of Tobolsk, with a particle of his relics.

In June 1991, when the Cathedral began to operate parochial school, which was one of the first in Kazakhstan.