/ / CÄ“sis castle

CÄ“sis castle

Cēsis castle is the largest surviving better than the rest of the order's medieval castles in Latvia. It is located in the centre of cēsis, which entered the history under the German name Venden. Based Venden a little later after the castle of the same name is probably Wendy (or wends), as indicated by the title. Lock created on the site of a wooden fortress of this nation.

CÄ“sis castle was built in the place of great strategic importance. Here converge the trade routes to Pskov, Dorpat, Lithuania. He later became a part of the system of fortifications Gouskova corridor, protecting the land in Estonia and Northern Latvia.

In 1206, the knights of the sword, under the guidance of the master Tively (Wine) von Rohrbach began construction of the stone castle. After 3 years the construction was completed. The year of the beginning of creating the castle is regarded as the year of the Foundation of Cesis.

After the battle of Saule in 1236 a part of the broken Order of the sword entered the Teutonic order and the Livonian Order formed as an offshoot of the Teutonic order.

Since the beginning of 1237, for many years, the CÄ“sis castle was the residence of the master of the Livonian order, but with some interruptions, since about half the time residence was located in Riga. From the original castle remains a one-nave chapel in the Eastern part of the castle and fragments of architectural details in white stone and the late-Romanesque type. Commonly, in the castle has lived about 30 knights. Located near their families, and mercenaries.

The castle was rebuilt in the late XIV - early XV centuries. It remained two lengths, United at a right angle, located in the South-West and South-East, and two tiers main West tower. Not far from it was the entry to the courtyard, and fragments of the outer arched galleries. The walls were built of flagstone and boulders. Apparently, the Windows in the castle were decorated with beautiful covers made of white stone.

In the late XV - early XVI centuries, when the rules master Walter von Plettenberg was erected two round towers for artillery with thickness of walls more than four metres, and organized a network of Forburga.

CÄ“sis castle has undergone numerous attacks and survived a lot of sieges. In 1577, the troops of Ivan the terrible, it nearly destroyed. But in 1748 the castle was burned during a fire in the city. In 1777 the family of Baron Sievers bought the land and rebuilt the castle, turning it into a Palace, which was built in the Gothic style. After the adoption of independence of Latvia CÄ“sis castle was restored.

Currently, work is underway on the restoration Ventennio castle in Cesis. In good condition is the Western tower, which is the master's room. Nice looking tower of Ladamer, outbuildings and the East tower. There is a refectory - remter where the knights dined.

For walking around the castle, tourists are given a flashlight, and very interestingly - a medieval helmet to give a special flavor and in order to defend against attacks in the dark corridors of the shoals and narrow spiral staircases. In the basement is the prison of the castle that you can visit.

Interesting is the fact that the writer A. A. Bestuzhev-marlinskiy, the Decembrist, has created a novel about Vengerskom the castle and its noble owners - "the Castle of Wenden. Excerpt from the diary of the guards officer. May 23, 1821" (this is one of his four "Livonian novels").

CÄ“sis castle in Cesis is a unique attraction, as it is the most extensive and best preserved medieval castle in Latvia.