/ / Daugavgrīva fortress

Daugavgrīva fortress

Daugavgrīva fortress is located in Riga, at the mouth of the Western Dvina (Daugava). The history of the fortress dates back more than 4 centuries. During the Swedish-Polish war (early 17th century), the Swedes built the first fortification. Built in 1608, strengthening, in its configuration resembled a star. Throughout the 17th century the Swedes were strengthened and rebuilt fortifications.

In 1710 the strengthening consisted of six strengthening water ditches, scarps and stone porches. The fortress housed a barracks and powder magazine. After the great Northern war (1700-1721), the stronghold was repeatedly expanded and rebuilt. Near daugavgrīva fortress was founded a settlement. In those times the fortress was used as a prison in the Russian Empire. So. For example, here was imprisoned the deposed Emperor Ivan the 4th and his parents.

During the reign of Empress Catherine II, was built a powerful fortress that's been adapted for military equipment of that time. In that period, the Daugavgrīva fortress was one of the strongest Russian fortresses. Since 1860 the Fort became known as dunamunde, and in 1893 it was renamed the Ust-Dvinsk. In the mid 19th century the fortress was summed up by a Telegraph line, which was the first not only in Russia but in the whole North-Eastern Europe.

Between the fortress and the sea settled down a great winter port, at the time, it "hibernated" tens and even hundreds of sailing ships. Towards the end of the 18th century was built the breakwater. In 1863 was erected the cast-iron lighthouse, which was just over 30 meters. During the First World war, the lighthouse was blown up, the new one was built in 1921, its height is 33.5 meters. In 1873 the fortress was the railroad connecting Riga station and winter port.

In 1904, the fortress was again rebuilt, in the period from 1914 to 1916 has carried out a significant strengthening of the fortress, and, basically, fortifications aimed at sea. In early September of 1917, Russian troops left the castle, which then passed from hand to hand. In the period of independence of Latvia, Daugavgriva fortress was located a military camp during the Soviet rule, there was a secret military facility. In the post, despite the fact that the fortress belonged to the Latvian army, it was under a commercial firm.