/ / Dobele castle

Dobele castle

From built around the middle of the 14th century castle of the Livonian order in Dobele today there are only ruins. According to historical Chronicles, the castle's construction was started in 1335. The castle was built of stone for the needs of the Livonian order. However, shortly after the start of construction of the fortress, the construction stopped and was resumed only in 1345.

Suppose that in place of the Dobele castle in the early 13th century was a wooden fortress of Zemgale. After the crusaders captured the land, which passed to the Livonian order, the land on which stood a wooden castle, was a great place for the erection of a new reference point. The more that a wooden castle was already burned by the Semigallians, who retreated to Lithuania.

Dobele castle consisted of four buildings surrounding a courtyard. The castle also had a chapel. On the West side, next to the rectangular tower was the entrance gate.

Throughout its history, the castle has repeatedly been at the center of battles between different forces. One of the most serious fights happened in 1620, in the battle in the castle managed to capture the Swedish troops of Gustav Adolf. In the period from 1643 to 1649. in the castle lived the widow of Duke Frederick Elizabeth Magdalena. Not passed in the castle and the great Northern war, during which the fortress again became a place of battles. During this period the castle was the king of Sweden Carl XII.

Castle is not a legend. So, for example, still failed to detect tunnels. According to legend, one of them passed under the river Berze, and led to the other shore, and the second underground passage, went out to Lielberze.

For the entire period of existence of the castle it was repeatedly rebuilt and expanded. In the complete desolation of the castle fell in 1730. By the time he is so dilapidated that it left. The roof collapsed, and since then, the castle was not restored.

Today the castle walls are preserved, in order to prevent their further destruction. These works began in 2001. The partially preserved walls of the fortress and the walls of the Church, which reaches a height of 20 meters. The castle ruins are quite romantic place, this is one of my favorite places to photograph. There are often different festivals and events.

It is believed that the castle's hidden treasures. Here are often mysterious and unexplained cases.

There is another interesting legend. Once the castle's roof was copper. In Sunny weather, the blaze of the roof was visible from afar. According to legend, sailors, holding a way to Ventspils, took the flashing of the roof for the lighthouse and, focusing on her, was broken on the rocks. This has happened more than once, and the sailors cursed the copper roof. And once risen, the hurricane blew the roof into the sea.