/ / Villa Vauban: photo, description (Villa Vauban)

Villa Vauban: photo, description (Villa Vauban)

Villa Vauban art Museum in Luxembourg city. The Villa was built in 1873 as a private residence in the ruins of the old defensive fortress (some of the walls Dating from the 18th century preserved till our days and they can be seen today in the basement of the Villa. The fortress was built under the project of outstanding military engineer of France, Marshal Sebastien de Vauban, and it is in his honor subsequently received its name and Villa. Magnificent Park surrounding the Villa was laid out by one of the leading landscape architects of his time - the Frenchman édouard andré (1740-1911).

May 1, 2010 after a five-year renovation under the guidance of architect Philip Schmitt, Villa Vauban opened its doors to visitors as the art Museum of Luxembourg city. The core of the Museum collection was donated to the city in the collections of private collectors - a Parisian banker Jean-Pierre Pescatore, banker and Consul General of Luxembourg in Amsterdam Leo Lippmann and Eugenie Pescator (originally this collection was owned by the pharmacist Gotoku Frederick Hoertz). In the future, the Museum collection was replenished repeatedly.

The Museum's collection illustrates the history of European art 17th-19th centuries. In the Museum's permanent exhibition presents the rich collection of paintings, drawings and sculpture. A special pride of the Museum are undoubtedly the works of such eminent representatives of the Golden age of Dutch painting as Cornelius Bega, Gerard Dou and Jan Steen as well as works of French painters of the 19th century - eugène Delacroix, Jean Masone and Jules dupré.