/ / Cathedral of Notre-Dame: photo description (Notre Dame Cathedral)

Cathedral of Notre-Dame: photo description (Notre Dame Cathedral)

Cathedral of Notre-Dame, or Notre-Dame Cathedral - Roman Catholic Cathedral in Luxembourg. In 1603, in Luxembourg, opened a Jesuit College, and soon the order decided to build in the city and his Church. So, in 1613, was laid the first stone in the Foundation of the Jesuit Church, which later became the Cathedral of Notre Dame. The solemn consecration of the Church took place in 1623.

By the mid-18th century political and economic influence of the Jesuits became a major concern in the Royal houses of Europe. The ensuing intrigue, the main purpose of which was to neutralize the effect of the order, has led to the mass persecution of its members. In 1773 Pope Clement XIV was forced to abolish the order, for more than two centuries, the former a reliable support of the papacy and the main force of the Counter-reformation. The Jesuits were expelled, including from Monaco, and in 1778 the Austrian Empress Maria Theresia bestowed the Jesuit Church of the city, and he became the new parish Church called "Church of St. Nicholas and St. Theresa". The name Notre Dame Church received in March 1848. In 1870, in accordance with the decision of Pope Pius IX, Luxembourg became a diocese, and the Church of Notre Dame has received the status of Cathedral.

Luxembourg Notre Dame Cathedral is a very impressive building, built in the late Gothic style, with a plentiful addition of architectural elements and ornaments typical from the Renaissance. Such an unusual combination of two such different styles, of course, gives the building a special charm. The Cathedral is crowned with three towers - West tower-the bell tower was part of a Jesuit Church, and the Eastern and Central - were added during an extensive renovation 1935-1938 years.

Special attention is certainly warranted and ornate interior of the Cathedral is impressive columns, decorated with arabesques, numerous sculptures, stained glass Windows, neo-Gothic confessional, etc. the Main relic of the Cathedral is the miraculous image of the virgin Mary grieving comfort girls that Luxembourgers revere as their patroness.

In the crypt of the Cathedral, the entrance to which is guarded by two bronze lions, the work of Auguste Tremont, the remains of the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg.