/ / The Museum of modern art: photos, description (Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art (Mudam))

The Museum of modern art: photos, description (Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art (Mudam))

The Museum of modern art Grand Duke Jean (abbreviated as "Madam") is an art Museum in Luxembourg city. The Museum is located in the North-Eastern part of the city in the quarter Kichberg in the Park "Fort thüngen".

With the proposal in the Luxembourg Museum of modern art in honor of the 25th anniversary of reign of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg in 1989 by Prime Minister Jacques Santer. The idea received broad support at the time as a place to house the Museum, has long been the subject of the most heated debates, and only in 1997 it was finalized. The project of the future Museum building designed by world-renowned architect, winner of the prestigious Pritzker prize - Yu Min Payam, one of the most famous of which are the pyramid of the Louvre. The ultra-modern building of glass and metal is actually a "continuation" of the old Luxembourg fortress Tungen. In General, the construction of the Museum cost 100 million dollars. The official Grand opening of the Museum of modern art Grand Duke Jean took place on 1 July 2006, and the next day the Museum opened its doors to the public.

The Museum's collection is extensive and varied, and introduces its visitors, including the latest trends in contemporary art - painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, architecture, etc. In the permanent collection of the Museum you can see works by such talented representatives of contemporary art as Andy Warhol, Alvar Aalto, Bruce Nauman, Richard long, Wolfgang Tillmans, Julian Schnabel, Thomas Struth, and Daniel Buren, Marina Abramovic, Jan Fabre, Sophie Calle CY Twombly, Nan Goldin, and many others.

Visiting the Museum of modern art, you can stroll through the Park "Fort thüngen" and look at the old fortress, the walls of which 2012 is an entertaining Museum that perfectly illustrates the history of Luxembourg 1443-1903 years, and the history of the fortress.