/ / The town hall of Luxembourg, (Luxembourg City Hall)

The town hall of Luxembourg, (Luxembourg City Hall)

In the heart of Monaco on place Guillaume II is one of its main architectural attractions - a two-storey building of the Luxembourg city hall, city Hall. This is a wonderful example of the neoclassical architectural style and an important historical monument.

In the early 19th century on the place now occupied by Luxembourg city Hall, was a monastery of Franciscans. City hall until 1795 was located in the building known today as the Palace of the Grand Duke (although since its construction in 1572, the building was significantly changed). After Luxembourg was occupied by the French, in the old city hall houses the administration office, head start, and city hall more than thirty years has not had its own building and was forced to move from place to place.

In 1820-ies it was decided on the construction of the new town Hall on the site of a long dilapidated monastery of Franciscans. In 1828 was finally agreed on a draft, and next year, the old monastery was demolished. The construction of a new town Hall began in 1830.

Erupted in the same year of the Belgian conflict, which arose the independent Kingdom of Belgium and Luxembourg has lost part of its territory, in fact had no impact on construction, as the city remained part of the German Alliance and was under the protection of the German garrison and outside the control of rebel forces. In October 1838 in new Hall the first meeting of the city Council. The official opening ceremony in the presence of the king of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg Willem II took place only in July 1844. In 1848, at the town Hall held a Constituent Assembly of Luxembourg, which was signed by the new national Constitution.

In 1938, near the entrance to the Hall there were two bronze lions, the work of talented Luxembourgian sculptor Auguste of Tremont.