/ / The Church Of The Holy Saviour

The Church Of The Holy Saviour

Photos and description

Orthodox Church of the Holy Saviour is situated to the East of the fortress of Skopie Calais - one of the main attractions in Skopje. The temple looks very simple, resembling ordinary extruded outside the farmhouse. It was built in the late XVII or early XVIII century after a fire in 1689, which damaged most of the buildings in the city. Muslims demanded that the local Orthodox community to build a low Church, which are not towered over by mosques, thereby attracting the attention of travelers. The Church of the Holy Saviour turned out squat, as if sunken into the ground.

Its main treasure, which put even the British Museum, is a luxurious iconostasis, created in the years 1819-1824. Part of patronal icons was written in 1867. The iconostasis was decorated with carvings of master Peter Filipovsky "Garka" and brothers Marco and Macarius Frckovski from the village of Gelincik. On the right edge of the iconostasis, the authors depicted themselves. Here you can see Peter Filipovsky with a plan in hand and the other two wizards, holding the hammer and chisel. Peter Filipovsky whole life involved in wood carving. He made the iconostasis in the Church in Lesnovo, the Crucifixion in the Church of St. George in Prizren, the iconostasis and canopy in the Church Vigovskogo monastery. In the last years of his life he made the iconostasis of the Church of St. Nicholas in Krusevo.

The length of the iconostasis in the Church of the Holy Saviour in Skopje is 10 meters width - 6 meters. It is interesting that some biblical characters, the artists gave the Balkan traits.

In the courtyard of the Church of the Holy Saviour is a marble tomb of the Macedonian revolutionary Gotse Delchev. It is mounted on three small stone pillars.