/ / The Museum of the city Skopje

The Museum of the city Skopje

Photos and description

Museum of the city of Skopje is located in the centre of the city. It was founded in 1949 and since 1970, it occupies premises of an old train station that was partially destroyed in the earthquake that happened in Skopje in 1963. Survived from aftershocks only one-third of the building. That's it, and turned into an exhibition space of 2 million sq. m. Storerooms, and restoration workshops and offices employees take another 2.5 thousand sq. m. In memory of the earthquake on the main facade installed large dial, whose arrows always show only one time, when stone and brick buildings began to develop, as houses of cards.

Museum of the city of Skopje tells the story of the Macedonian capital. Here are collected extensive archaeological, ethnographic collection and an impressive collection of works of art. The permanent exhibition of the Museum of the city of Skopje called "Walk on past". In addition to the systematic research, collection, allocation, protection and conservation of artifacts, the Museum is also engaged in the expert handling and examination of the Museum material, and it is the results of their research by organizing exhibitions both in Macedonia and abroad.

In the Museum collection there are about 22 thousand objects discovered during the excavations, purchased from local residents and donated by collectors. So, the Museum was donated 182 photos taken of the legendary Macedonian photographer, Blagoja Drnkov. In 1991, Lubomir Belogaski presented to the Museum 159 watercolors.