/ / Hacienda of the family of Ingrina

Hacienda of the family of Ingrina

Photos and description

Historical Zihuatanejo town centre consists of buildings built in the traditional style for Spanish, Italian and Swiss towns. Of particular note are the oldest secular building in the city - part of the former Hacienda of the family of Ingrina, the disposal of which was a vast coconut plantation.

This building was built about 150 years ago. In those days it was storage for coconuts. Lord of Ingrina owned haciendas to the revolution in Mexico, that is, until the 1910-1917 years. During this period, the estate and plantation confiscated in favor of the state, the barn was turned into a field hospital, and all the rest of the territory was divided into small plots and distributed to patriots who distinguished themselves during the revolutionary struggle. After the revolution, the need in the hospital anymore, it was closed, and the building was left boarded up. For a long time about it no one remembered, so the second half of the twentieth century it was in need of immediate repair, or may just collapse.

In the 1970's, this historic building has decided to renovate. After a long renovation in 1979, then opened a posh restaurant "Coconut". Most of the wooden furniture, including the bar, is original and dates from the nineteenth century. The restaurant has a gallery, featuring a collection of paintings by local artist Nicolas de Jesus. Also since the former owners preserved the former structure of the building and carved decoration of its interior.

The restaurant has a courtyard with shady trees, equipped with tables for visitors.