/ / The Church Of San Francisco

The Church Of San Francisco

Photos and description

The Church of San Francisco, or St. Francis, located in the historic center of Mexico city on Madero street. Unfortunately, once a large monastery complex belonging to the Franciscans, there was only this Church. Now destroyed, the monastery served as a residence for the first 12 monks-the Franciscans led by Martin de Valencia, who came to Mexico after receiving from the Pope the permission of missionary work in the lands of the New world. In the early colonial period, the convent of San Francisco was one of the biggest and most influential abbeys of Mexico. It was built on the spot where the Indian ruler Montezuma II had his zoo. In those days the Church and the monastery were limited to the streets of Bolivar, Madero, Eje Central and Venustiano Carranza. The area of the monastery complex has reached 32 thousand sq. m.

In the courtyard of the monastery set up a cross, which, according to General opinion, surpassed in size the tallest tower in Mexico city. It was made of cypress wood, felled in the forest of Chapultepec, that is to the West of the Zocalo.

The Church and convent of San Francisco at the time, witnessed many historical events. Here conducted in the last path of Hernan Cortes, in 1629, there is found a refuge Marquis Galvez after a quarrel with the Archbishop, and in 1692 the monastery took refuge from the rebels count of Galve with his wife. The end of the Mexican war of independence was marked in the monastery of solemn prayer.

After the war, as a result of reforms to transform Mexico city convent of San Francisco, like many other churches and abbeys, was disbanded. Almost all of his property was confiscated by the city authorities. A large part of the monastery complex was demolished for the construction of new roads. Some monastery buildings were saved, but does not currently belong to the Church. Only the Church of San Francisco is still in effect. It is the third temple, which was erected on this place. The first two sacral buildings were demolished due to landslides soil under them. The current Church building was built in 1710-1716.

The entrance to the temple is through the chapel of the Balvanera, since the main portal is bricked up. To enter the nave of the temple you have to descend down the stairs, indicating that this building is gradually disappearing in the soft soil. Luxurious stucco facade of the chapel was established in 1766. Many historians believe that it was the work of architect Lorenzo Rodriguez. Statues from the facade was removed when the chapel for some time been in the hands of the evangelists.