/ / Palafoxiana Library

Palafoxiana Library

Photos and description

The palafoxiana library, included in the List of historical and cultural heritage of mankind and protected by UNESCO, located in the historic centre of the Mexican city of Puebla. Her collection consists of more than 40 thousand volumes, most of which dates from the period preceding the era of Mexican independence. Many of them come from XV century. Carefully restored, the library building is famous for its decorative elements preserved from the past centuries. For example, the frescoes on the ceiling of the main hall, depicting the Madonna, was painted in the XVIII century Sicilian artist Nino Pisano.

Library name comes from the name of its founder Juan de Palafox and Mendoza, who was Viceroy and Bishop of Puebla from 1640 to 1655. In 1646 this noble man sacrificed Seminary San Juan 5 thousand books from his personal collection and wished these books were available not only for scientists but also for any literate person. Thus, in the Mexican Puebla appeared first in North and South America public library. The current building to accommodate the growing book collection was constructed in 1773 by Bishop Francisco Fabian-and-Fuero. Further expansion of the library space took place in the XIX century.

In the former convent of San Juan, which included a Seminary, where he opened a library, now converted into a House of culture of Puebla. Palafoxiana library still occupies its original building.

The oldest library in the New world can be visited with a guided tour.