/ / Church Of Our Lady Of Loreto

Church Of Our Lady Of Loreto

Photos and description

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Loreto, which in Spanish sounds like the Shrine of our lady of Loreto, stands out among the buildings that surround it. The architecture of this sacred structure represents an intermediate between Baroque and Neoclassicism. The facade, on which stands out the relief on a religious theme, decorated in the Baroque manner, while the spires of the temple are clearly in the style of Neoclassicism. However, the temple does not seem pretentious or not harmonious. The restorers who worked on the renewal of the Church, managed to achieve the perfect balance between original design and subsequent made to the appearance of the Church changes.

This Church, located in Piazza Loreto, was built in 1675 by the Jesuits and was part of the College of saints Peter and Paul. After the expulsion of the Jesuits from Mexico in 1767 the Church Bogomateri Loreto became the property of the city. Its reconstruction was made by famous architect Manuel Tolsa a close friend of the Governor. The merit of this master is not only the extension of the temple, but the construction of the dome in the neoclassical style. The dome is clearly visible from the intersection of Rodriguez Puebla and Loreto.

The single-nave Church is famous for the image of our lady of Loreto with the Baby, who was taken to Mexico in 1675 by father Jesuit Juan Zappa. This statue mounted on a silver pedestal.

In our day the Church is visited by hundreds of people. Among the parishioners to celebrate workers of aviation companies, as the virgin Mary of Loreto is the patroness of pilots.