/ / Botanical garden Gisborne

Botanical garden Gisborne

Among the most interesting places of the new Zealand city of Gisborne (North island) that are definitely worth a visit, special attention will always be on the Botanical garden of Gisborne. It is located in the Eastern part of the city between Aberdeen road and the river Taruheru and is one of the favorite places of recreation for residents of Gisborne and his guests.

Gisborne Botanical gardens was founded as a public garden in 1874 by the decision of local authorities, whose main purpose was the creation of the city's green zone, where Gisborne-loving, nature-friendly, could spend their leisure time. For this purpose on the outskirts of the city on the banks of the river Taruheru was allocated a plot of land with area of 2.5 hectares and work began on the creation of a future garden (later its territory was extended, currently the garden covers 5.1 ha).

In the 60-ies of the 20th century located on the shores of Caruaru public gardens, Gisborne has been called a "city Park", the status of "Botanical garden" was officially given to him only at the end of 70-ies. By that time the Park had already been built and opened to the public aviary "Free flying" (1972), and in 1978 was opened and a greenhouse built specifically to host within its walls the famous cactus collection, donated to the city by Mrs. Grieg (1978). In the following decades were also added a number of themed areas, including "the Australian garden" "Japanese garden" and "Garden palm desert".

Today the Botanical garden of Gisborne is home for many and varied plants collected from all over the world, among which you will see oak marsh (North America and South-Eastern Canada), Ginkgo biloba (China), Atlas cedarwood (Atlas mountains, Africa), Tulip tree or liriodendron (North America), Araucaria coral (New Caledonia), the European Linden and many more.