/ / Tandinskiy Botanical garden

Tandinskiy Botanical garden

Tandinskiy Botanical garden - famous Botanical garden in the new Zealand city of Dunedin (Otago, South island), just a few kilometers North of the city centre, near the University of Otago. This is one of the most beautiful gardens in New Zealand and one of the main attractions of Dunedin.

Tandinskiy Botanical garden was founded in 1863 and became the first Botanical garden in New Zealand. Initially, the garden was planted on the place where today is located the University of Otago, but after the flood in 1868, almost destroying the garden, the city authorities took the decision on its transfer to its present location, which was done in 1869. Over time, the Botanical garden has thoroughly expanded its territory and today its area is over 30 hectares. due To the fact that the Botanical garden is located on Signal hill and at its foot, it is divided into Upper and Lower gardens (the difference in height is in the range of 25-85 m above sea level).

Today Tandinskiy Botanical garden is home to more than 6,800 species of different plants gathered from all corners of the earth. Incredible views Davidenkova Botanical garden complement the sculptures and statues, among which the works of famous British sculptor Cecil Walter Thomas ("Peter pan" and "Wendy"). The garden is divided into themed gardens, among which the most interesting, perhaps, are the rhododendron garden, the winter garden, rose garden, Japanese garden, and mountain and water gardens. Separate attention deserves the new Zealand garden where you can admire the local flora, including quite rare plants under threat of extinction. Climbing up the same hillside and sitting on one of numerous benches, you will get a great opportunity to enjoy fantastic panoramic views.

In 2010 Tandinskiy Botanical garden received the status of "Garden of international significance" and became one of the five gardens in New Zealand to receive this honour. On the South island this status except Davidenkova Botanical gardens are the only gardens of the castle Larnach (located near Dunedin on the Otago Peninsula).