/ / The Abbot's Palace in Oliwa

The Abbot's Palace in Oliwa

The Abbot's Palace in Oliwa Palace in the Rococo style, located in the Polish city of Gdansk. The oldest part of the building, the so-called "Old Palace" was built in the 15th century in the Gothic style, as evidenced by the preserved brick walls and a Gothic arch. After 1577 the building was extended to the current size, the so-called "New Palace", the building served as a residence for Cistercian Abbot Jan Grabinski. Final work on the device of the Abbey were made in the years 1754-1756, was funded by Abbot Jacek Rybinsk.

After the partition of Poland in 1831, the area where the Palace is situated became a part of Prussia, the Palace passed into the possession of the family of Hohenzollern. From 1796 until 1836 lived here: the Bishop, Amland, Karl von Hohenzollern and Joseph von Hohenzollern. From 1836 to 1869, the Palace remained empty until there settled the niece of Josef Maria Anna von Hohenzollern. After her death in 1888 the ownership of the Palace was seized by local authorities Olive.

At the initiative of the authorities of the free city of Danzig, for the anniversary of the Olive 18 March 1926 in the Palace Museum was opened. The first Director was Erich Kaiser.

In 1945 the building was completely burned down during the retreat of the Germans. The Palace was rebuilt in 1965 to accommodate the Ethnographic Department of the Pomeranian Museum. In 1972, the Museum has received national status.

Since 1988, the Palace houses the modern art Department of Department of National Museum in gdańsk. The permanent exhibition includes works by Polish artists of the 19th and 20th centuries (paintings, sculpture, ceramics). Frequently organizes contemporary art exhibitions, conferences and meetings with artists.