/ / Government Palace

Government Palace

Photo and description: Government Palace

Government Palace, built by local stonemasons, was built in neo-Gothic style by the project of the Roman architect Francesco Ricardo. Construction began in 1884 and continued for 10 years. The Palace facade is decorated with coats of arms of the castles of the Republic. The upper part of the Palace is decorated golfscope teeth. On the left of the facade is a tower-belfry with a clock, which depicts the figure of St. Marina, standing between SS. Agafia and the Lion.

In front of the Government Palace located Freedom square, or as it is called, Pianella in the center of which stands the majestic statue of Liberty sculptor, Galetti donated to San Marino from the Countess of Otilia that Evening, Wagener in 1876.