/ / The Austro-Hungarian Bank

The Austro-Hungarian Bank

The former branch of the Austro-Hungarian Bank was built in 1912 in the neoclassical style Legionary on the street, which in those days was called Beresovoy (this street after 1919 several times changed its name).

The mansion was designed by one of the most famous architects of Hungary, Bratislava native, working in Budapest, Josef Hubert. This wizard is known to have developed drawings of the castle in Bojnice, as well as participated in the design of the castle Smolenice.

The building after the First world war belonged to a branch of the National Bank of Czechoslovakia. In the years 1936-1937, the mansion was built. On the top floor made a private apartment that does not prevent operation of the Bank. Prior to this global reconstruction, in 1936, the building was built in the second storage values. The previous store was located on the ground floor, to the left, closer to the street. In the rooms-the vaults of the Bank from 20 September to 6 October 1938 by German agents were hiding coronation affiliation of Czech rulers, namely: crown of St. Wenceslas, the Orb, the scepter, the cross and the sword. Interestingly, over the past 600 years, these values have left the Treasury of Prague Castle a few times, but only once they were brought to Slovakia in Zilina when the feared bombing of Prague.

After the Second world war there was a branch of the State Bank of Czechoslovakia and later the Department of the Czechoslovak commercial Bank. At the moment the building in which the Bank operates Zilina, closed to the public, tours of its interiors are not carried out. But to get to the Bank, pretending to be his client, tourists will not hurt anything.