/ / Aquarium Of San Sebastian

Aquarium Of San Sebastian

The aquarium of San Sebastian - the first natural history Museum established in Spain. It is located in the building known as the Palace of the sea and built by the architect Juan Carlos Guerra for the Oceanographic society of Gipuzkoa province. In 1928, the year within its walls was opened in the aquarium, and six decades later, in 1998, the year the exhibition area has been increased three times. Today, the aquarium of San sebastián, equipped with underwater tunnel, which gives an overview of 360°, is considered one of the most advanced in Europe.

In 1925, the year it was decided to build in San sebastián the building for aquarium - at the end of the port, in the very place where the then started recently landscaped promenade. Construction work lasted three years, and in 1928 year, the aquarium was inaugurated. Since then it was visited by over 12 million people that made this a tourist attraction the most popular in the city.

The first and main objective of the aquarium was the dissemination of knowledge about the environment and the organization and conduct of educational activities. Over its nearly century of history the Museum has undergone numerous changes, but its tasks remained the same. The most significant changes occurred in 1998, the year that made the aquarium a reference object is not only in the Basque Country but throughout Spain. It was then converted in accordance with the latest achievements of science and technology, in particular, it was built a huge pool with a capacity of 1.8 million liters, and a transparent tunnel allowing to pass through the pool from one end to the other.

Aquarium San Sebastian consists of three parts: the actual aquarium size of 30 by 16 meters (the same pool); thematic area aquariums, representing a variety of underwater flora and fauna from around the world; and the so-called "haptic" aquariums, particularly loved by the young visitors, they can touch creatures like sea urchins, starfish, etc.