/ / Lund Botanical gardens

Lund Botanical gardens

Botanical garden located in the centre of Lund, originated in the 19th century. Today, its vast territory of 8 hectares there are more than 7,000 different plant species with approximately 2000 species, which belong to nine different climate zones, can be seen only in specially constructed greenhouses.

Initially, the Park belonged to the hospital of Lund, but in 1815, this land was given to the University, is in charge of the Botanical garden to this day. Except for a few University buildings on its territory also includes the Botanical Museum and the Yellow Villa.

The formal garden was laid out between 1862 and 1867 over the years, and responsible for the planning and design of some buildings has been assigned to James George Agardh. The differences in the levels of the landscape Park was achieved through the creation of artificial mounds and ponds. The center of the Park has the correct configuration, while the outer part is made in a free form. The Park, which was in the 19th century, much different from today, because in the period from 1888 to 1950, the land on which the Park several times expanded.

In 1974 Lund Botanical gardens was declared a national historic landmark. The main task of the staff of the garden is the provision of a diversified base in botany, horticulture and ecology not only for the needs of University and scientific research, but also for kindergartens, schools and the General public.

The Park annually receives half a million visitors; open daily, admission free.