/ / Bohaska fortress

Bohaska fortress

Bohutska the Church is located along the old Norwegian-Swedish border, North East from hisingen to hönö, where the göta river splits into two branches (20 kilometres North of Gothenburg). The fortress rises 40 meters above sea level, and the river forms a natural moat around it.

Boguskoy the construction of the fortress began in 1308 under king Hakon V Magnus, king of Norway, in the period from 1299 to 1319. Hakon V also initiated the construction of the fortresses Akershus and Wardobes as part of the broader defence policy. At that time, the territory on which Bohaska fortress, was part of Norway, and it served as the main stronghold of the Norwegian defense against Sweden along the coast.

Written documents 1310 indicate that the fortress was built of granite and brick, which was typical for the era, perhaps under the guidance of count Jacob of Halland. By 1450 it included a continuous surrounding wall thickness of 3 meters at the base, and its height ranged from 8.5 to 13.5 metres, depending on terrain. It was a rectangular building with four corner towers. In the Eastern part was a brick tower, and in the center of the West side - gate and drawbridge. Along the inner side of the surrounding walls were located in various buildings, including the Royal hall, a chapel, a guardhouse, barracks and kitchen. At the time Bohutska the fortress was the most powerful fortress of the region. Throughout its history the fortress was under siege, however, has never been captured.

At the end of the 18th century, it was decided that the fortress should be destroyed, as no longer used. Analysis of buildings lasted 2 months until the end of the allotted money. The inhabitants of the neighbouring town of Kungälv used the fortress the stone for building houses, however, most of the fortress remains intact. The fortress now is a Museum and open for tours in the summer.