/ / Mandalenska Church

Mandalenska Church

Mandalenska the Church is located in the community of the commune Herjedalen vemdalen. The village of vemdalen is quite ancient. Perhaps already in the middle ages its site was a wooden chapel, but her remains were not found.

The present wooden Church was built in 1624, and after a hundred years, in 1763, moved to its present location. Subsequently the Church was rebuilt by master Olof Danbergam of the Manst and received its current elongated octagonal design. The roof of the building topped by a tower with a spire. Tower covered with wooden shingles.

The Church has high ceilings and eight large Windows, so the temple seems light and airy. The impression produced many churches, built in Northern Sweden at the turn of the XVII and XVIII centuries. Temples of the same period in southern and Western Sweden are more solid and imposing architecture.

Eight window openings and the octagonal shape of the Church Vemdalen symbolize Heaven. The world was created in seven days and the eighth day represents the Kingdom of God. The altar was created by sculptor Jonas Granberg from a neighbouring parish in 1770. Authority dated 1919.

In 1755, near the temple Builder Anders Berg guy built a free-standing bell tower. It has two bells. Lesser was cast by Johann Andreas Klos in 1713. A large bell is marked by a long dictum about his sound, bought for the community in 1770.

Mandalenska is an active Church. It is open not only during worship, so every tourist can see it during daylight hours.