/ / Gammelstad

Gammelstad

Gammelstad, whose name translates from Swedish as "Old town", located near the Swedish city of luleå, in the Northern part of the Gulf of Bothnia. He was listed as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1996.

Gammelstad represents the best preserved example of an ecclesiastical city, which was once widely distributed in Northern Scandinavia. In the centre of town is the Church of Nederlulea the early 15th century and is surrounded by 408 wooden houses, which gradually arose here over the next two centuries. Such ecclesiastical settlements arose due to the fact that the Church was the religious center is quite large in area parishes, so a small simple hut was necessary in order to use them on Sundays and during religious festivals to accommodate believers from the surrounding villages, who failed to return home the same day due to long distances or bad weather conditions. Due to the fact that in the cities people thronged from all parts of the region, they gradually turned to shopping malls.

At the end of the 17th century Gammelstad was officially granted city status, but 20 years later it was moved to a new place where today is located the town of luleå. This transfer was made due to the fact that initially Gammelstad was located on a small island and uplift of the earth crust did not favour its further growth. Approximately for a century and new, and the old city grew rapidly.

Among the most famous visitors Gammelstad was Carl Linnaeus, who arrived here for the celebration of the night of Midsummer in 1732.